Today the Waubonsee Community College Libraries officially join our new division, led by Dr. Jonathan Paver, Assistant Vice President of Transfer and Developmental Education, and welcome our new Dean, Anita Moore, who starts today!
We would also like to take a moment to bid a fond farewell and best wishes to our old division, Online Learning and Instructional Support, led by Assistant Vice President, Dr. Renee Tonioni.
Presidents’ Day, the third Monday in February, as we know it today, was first celebrated in 1971, after the 1968 passage of the Uniform Monday Holiday Act moved the observance of several federal holidays to Mondays.
Before then, Washington’s Birthday was celebrated on his actual birthday, February 22, and in Illinois, Lincoln’s Birthday was celebrated on his birthday, February 12.
For more information, check out this link to History.com: https://www.history.com/topics/holidays/presidents-day
This year’s rescheduled WinterFest dinner on Friday, February 16 at the Lincoln Inn & Banquets in Batavia worked out well for the library staff – three of us won prize baskets in the after-dinner raffle:
- Rhea Hunter, Todd Library Circulation Assistant
- Kathy Bartel, Aurora Downtown Campus Librarian
- Audrey Bokuniewicz, Fox Valley Campus Librarian
Also present for the win were Library Manager, Spencer Brayton, and Todd Librarian, Earl Shumaker, 2017 winner of a Support Staff Award for Excellence.
Congratulations to our winners, and a big thank you to everyone who contributed to baskets and planned a wonderful WinterFest!
Check out our new technology, just installed over Winter Break at Todd and Aurora Downtown Campus Libraries:
- Skip the line at the Circulation Desk and use the new Self Check Kiosks to check out materials, renew items, or review your account.
- Use the new computer-powered SMART boards in study rooms to work on PowerPoint slides, presentations, or group work.
February brings us the Winter Olympics, Mardi Gras, Valentine’s Day, Presidents’ Day, Chinese New Year, and big library news:
- Our new Dean of Academic Support, Anita Moore, starts February 21 – Welcome, Dr. Moore!
- Our new website goes live soon – we look forward to your feedback!
- Our new Mission/Vision/Values statements are in the works – a blueprint to our future. We are dreaming big!