Reference question of the day was about finding public domain images. Everyoneâ€™s got their go-tos. If I am looking for illustrations or old photos specifically Iâ€™ll often use other peopleâ€™s searches on top of the Internet Archiveâ€™s content. Hereâ€™s a little how to.
1. Check the Internet Archive Book Images feed on Flickr. What I often do is search (which finds the words that surround the images) and then click straight through to the book (which is always linked in the metadata) and then fish around. For exampleâ€¦
- Search for cricket
- â€œOh this photo is interestingâ€
- â€œHere are all the photos from that bookâ€
- Book is readable here
- Internet Archive page is here
- Iâ€™m more used to the Open Library interface which is a different front end on the same content for the most part, itâ€™s here.
- More by Internet Archive on cricket or Open Library on cricket
https://openlibrary.org/subjects/cricketThe trickÂ […]Â is to try to get as close to 1923 as possible because youâ€™re likely to have the best illustrations and still be out of copyright. Older books donâ€™t have good illustrations because the technology was not there yet.