is a Domain Name?
domain name is a unique alphabetical "address" of a computer on
the Internet. The address of any web page includes the domain name as the
first part of the address. For example:
organizations will have many domain names, but part of the name will be
present in all names for that organization. Some examples of domain names
at Waubonsee include:
- ctlt.waubonsee.edu// is the Center for Teaching, Learning and technology
- www.waubonsee.edu// is the domain name for Waubonsee 's main Web site
- inet.waubonsee.edu/ is Waubonsee's Intranet
that all Waubonsee web site domain names have waubonsee.edu at the end.
can use the following to help understand more about the "owners"
of domain names:
- company or commercial sites, often Internet Service Provider sites.
- .edu - U.S. colleges and universities
- .gov - U.S. governmental sites, these will often have useful information
- .org - not for profit agency sites, sites for professional organizations,
- .net - also usually commercial sites, generally somewhere between
.com and .org for credibility.