Determining the Currency of the Information
Just like you, the authors of the sources you use must use information from appropriate time periods. They needed to use the most current information available at the time they were writing. Here are some questions you can ask as you look through your information:
- Are the authors of the material you found also using date-appropriate materials?
- Scan through authors' notes and/or bibliography. How old/new is the material that the author used?
- Is the material this author used dated appropriately for the topic - for both historic and currency purposes?
- If no bibliography is included, are there clues in the text relating to the currency of the author's information?
- If you need to use information produced during a particular time period, do the dates of your materials support this?