University of Wisconsin Oshkosh professor Sue Fondrie won this year’s bad fiction award.
Cheryl’s mind turned like the vanes of a wind-powered turbine, chopping her sparrow-like thoughts into bloody pieces that fell onto a growing pile of forgotten memories.
Winner of the 2011 Bulwer-Lytton contest via Boing Boing.
Man Booker Prize 2011 longlist announced:
- Julian Barnes The Sense of an Ending (Jonathan Cape – Random House)
- Sebastian Barry On Canaan’s Side (Faber)
- Carol Birch Jamrach’s Menagerie (Canongate Books)
- Patrick deWitt The Sisters Brothers (Granta)
- Esi Edugyan Half Blood Blues (Serpent’s Tail – Profile)
- Yvvette Edwards A Cupboard Full of Coats (Oneworld)
- Alan Hollinghurst The Stranger’s Child (Picador – Pan Macmillan)
- Stephen Kelman Pigeon English (Bloomsbury)
- Patrick McGuinness The Last Hundred Days (Seren Books)
- A.D. Miller Snowdrops (Atlantic)
- Alison Pick Far to Go (Headline Review)
- Jane Rogers The Testament of Jessie Lamb (Sandstone Press)
- D.J. Taylor Derby Day (Chatto & Windus – Random House)
Man Booker Prize 2011 longlist announced…
[T]he second was redefined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 energy transitions of the cesium atom…
This change took place in 1967.
Why 60 seconds and minutes but 24 hours? via Kottke.org
Charlie Miller, a respected security researcher, has discovered vulnerabilities in the smart batteries for Apple laptops and mobile devices; he can manipulate their firmware to render them unusable or to cause them to misreport their remaining charge to the OS. The new firmware can survive an OS replacement, leading Miller to speculate that it could be used to store persistent malware that restored itself after the disk was erased and the OS was rewritten.
Hiding malware in smart batteries – Boing Boing.
National Recreation and Parks Month
Since this month is dedicated nationwide to showcasing our National Parks and Recreation areas, the Todd Library in turn is dedicating our monthly book display with part of our collection of books and DVDs focusing on our country’s National Parks. Come visit us before starting out on your dream vacation.